Friday, May 7, 2010

My fire is burnin!

As many of you know, my husband teaches a Bible study at the UCCS, main campus every Thursday night. The study is under the umbrella of our church, CCES with the goal of reaching collage students, ROTC cadets all alike.

For several months I have seen my husband really grow into the man God is allowing him to be. Each week he faithfully creates a study and leads the group in prayer and discussion. What an honor it is for me to be by his side as he leads not only this group but our family as well.

Last night we had the special treat of a dear friend, Luke teaching the study. Luke, I believe is a teacher at heart and I was very excited to see his teaching talents for the first time and equally as excited to see his beautiful wife sitting next to him.....that's how we do it Chrystal:) Luke did an amazing job in teaching and getting his lesson points across to the rest of the group. I am still impressed today at how he was able to draw the group into such deep discussion. I saw people open up in ways I haven't seen before. People began to share their real struggles, their real issues. It was raw and so beautiful.

One question that Luke asked really got me thinking. He asked, "in times of doubt, trial, times that you can't see God working, what do you do to keep your fire burning? What do you do to keep your faith alive? Many in the group shared testimonies, real life, testimonies. People began to share with one another and really minister to each other.

After a few moments, I began to reflect on what my own answer would be. What do I do to keep my fire burning? How do I keep my faith alive in times of doubt, confusion or sorrow?

This most recent year, 2010, has been one of the hardest of my life. We've battled for our precious Riley girl for an entire year before finally recieving the medical attention she has needed. She's doing great by the way:) I have hit my emotional bottom as I have struggled with distant family issues, financial hard times have come and gone, I have gone through test after test in order to learn who I am and who I want to be and now major health issues. I am still going through the painful process of standing on my own two feet, being who my kids need, who my husband needs, becoming an army officers' wife (what a transition it is!) and really finding my place in the world and in CO only to learn that Germany is where the LORD wants us next.

And yet my answer to Luke's question was and is so simple. What do I do to keep my faith alive, to keep my fire burning? I think of all the times my Jesus has saved me. By saving me, I mean much more than my salvation. You couldn't ask for more than being saved from the pits of hell. But more than that still! So many times, in my life the LORD has saved me and rescued me from terrible situations, protected me from harm, healed my heart, provided a way out from a mess, given me rest, healed me, shown me a better way and stood by me. All it takes on a bad day is my reflection on all the LORD has done for me.

I challenge you my friends to ponder Luke's question just the same. Take a minute and reflect on what the LORD has done for you. Share or simply journal and say a prayer of thanks. After all, we all have much to be thankful for!

Special thanks to Chrystal and Luke. Thank you for your teaching, for your example to the rest of us. You guys rock!

Nichole

4 comments:

  1. Nichole you are an awesome writer. Really, so talented.

    Love you & thanks for sharing this w/us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post! when things are hard, I always seem to remember bits and pieces of praise and worship songs that have really touched me.... "i will praise you in this storm" and "when the roads marked with suffering, and though there's pain in the offering.... Blessed be Your Name." some songs say things so much better than i ever could! anyway... love your blog. I'm your newest follower!

    www.housemadehome.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole,
    As you know our family has gone through many trials. This last 6 months have been some of the hardest for me. But I keep my faith fire burning by reminding myself and others just how much Jesus loved us. I hide in my heart the truth of the Gospel, I praise HIM in all circumstances, even if I don't feel it. Sometimes, praise and worship is a painful sacrifice and other times it just comes naturally. I am often reminded through the little things, that GOD is in control. I have learned over the years that when I am at my weakest, JESUS is stronger and more evident in my life. I have learned to trust him fully and to lean on HIM. Just like when you placed Riley at the foot of the cross, I have learned to place myself there daily. Most importantly, I have learned to keep blinders on and stay on the path GOD has put before me. If we stray to right or to the left GOD is always quick to bring us back. My advise to all believers in times of stress and turmoil is to fix your eyes on the prize and stay the course. If you fall, pick yourself back up and continue to run. Surround yourself with those who love the LORD and serve even when you don't think you have much to offer. But most importantly, grow and cultivate your relationship with the LORD. If your angry tell HIM, HE already knows, if your happy laugh with HIM, if your sad, HE saves each tear you shed. What a wonderful GOD and Savior!

    ReplyDelete